There have been more than 1,400 residential burglaries in the Valley so far this year, a 25 percent increase in such crimes.
A spike in “knock-knock” burglaries plaguing the San Fernando Valley prompted City Councilman Mitchell Englander Wednesday to call for a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the culprits.
So far this year, the San Fernando Valley has been home to the bulk of LA’s burglaries with more than 1,400 residential burglaries in the Valley. The region has experienced a 25 percent spike in home burglaries. Citywide, there have been more than 1,700 residential burglaries in 2017.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department’s Knock-Knock Burglary Task Force, “Knock-Knock Burglars are organized and target affluent single-family residences located within the San Fernando Valley. The members of these Knock-Knock criminal groups are usually comprised of criminal street gang members who claim territory in the South Los Angeles area. They select homes based on the likelihood of having money, jewelry, and/or firearms within the residence. They are known to knock on the front door to determine if the residence is unoccupied. Once they determine the residence is unoccupied, they gain entry through a rear door, side door or second floor balcony and have been known to disable the alarm.”
“`Knock-knock’ crews are very sophisticated, they know exactly what they are doing,” Englander said at a news conference at City Hall. “They knock on the door and then somebody else will wait on the side of the house.” Read more »
The LAPD is reconsidering its policy to keep body camera footage from the public, and is asking for community input on a new policy.
The Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners and Chief Charlie Beck outlined plans Thursday for seeking community input on establishing policies for the release of body camera footage taken during critical incidents.
Input will be gathered in community forums around Los Angeles and through a questionnaire available online or on paper.
Speaking to reporters at a new conference at the Police Administration Building downtown, Beck said the resulting policy will likely be a compromise that will please no one.
“This is a balancing act that will have an end result that will be the best servant of everybody’s needs, recognizing that probably no one will get exactly what it is they think should be the perfect policy,” Beck said.
The City Council approved a $59 million plan last June to equip Los Angeles Police Department officers with body cameras, and the department plans to issue the cameras to all patrol officers by the end of this year. Read more »
The City of LA’s Emergency Management Department encourages you to sign up to receive free emergency alerts from the NotifyLA program.
NotifyLA is a free emergency alert system that sends you life-saving safety information during emergencies and disasters. NotifyLA also keeps you up-to-date with relevant information about local emergencies and hazards like earthquakes, floods, fires and evacuations. It is the city’s best tool to send you emergency alerts and provide you with the information you need to keep yourself and your family safe.
Signing up is quick and easy!
Simply text NOTIFYLA (one word) to 888-777 right now to register your cell phone. Be sure to sign up on every cell phone in your family, and tell your friends to sign up too! You can also visit emergency.lacity.org/notifyla to register your home phone, additional cell phones and your email address.
On March 1st, the City Council voted unanimously to adopt an update to the existing Baseline Mansionization Ordinance (BMO) and Baseline Hillside Ordinance (BHO). This vote, in effect, establishes new development standards for single-family zoned properties citywide. The changes, as recommended by the City Planning Commission, incorporate additional protections to further limit large-scale homes and related construction impacts. Leading up to Council adoption of the ordinance, the Department of City Planning held public hearings with the community over the course of a six-month period to garner input. Since the adoption of the 2008 BMO and 2011 BHO, the City Council has approved several Interim Control Ordinances (ICOs) to temporarily limit the construction of over-sized homes in certain single-family neighborhoods. With the new amendment in place, the integrity and character of single-family homes citywide will be better preserved.
Some of the adopted changes to the BMO and BHO regulations include the following:
Establishment of new development standards for single-family zones, including the usage of angled encroachment plane and side wall articulation requirements to reduce the visual impact of building mass;
Modification to the definition of Residential Floor calculations to further reduce the impact of out-of-scale homes;
Elimination of nearly all exemptions, which created the big, boxy homes;
Counting of grading under a house to prevent what was previously an unlimited amount of hillside grading and
Reduction of Floor Area Ratio for single-family homes in R1 zones.
The Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon is tomorrow! The “Stadium to the Sea” 26.2 mile course takes runners throughout our great City past many iconic landmarks. Various streets along the marathon route will be closed by 3:15 a.m. on March 19, then reopen as early as 10:15 a.m., depending on the location. Streets will reopen by region because of the size and complexity of the event route. Numerous agencies, including the California Department of Transportation and the City of Los Angeles Police and Fire departments were consulted in the planning process and agree that the finalized plan is the best way to accommodate all of the parties involved. Come out to cheer on the runners and enjoy the community aspect of this 32 year Los Angeles event!
From our friends at the Porter Ranch Neighborhood Council:
We Need YOUR Help to Tell Senate Committee Members to Support SB 57 WITHOUT Amendments
This Tuesday (March 21), the State Senate Committee on Energy, Utilities, and Communications will vote on Senate Bill 57 (SB 57), which calls for holding off on the re-opening of the Aliso Canyon facility until the cause of the catastrophic well failure in the fall of 2015 is known and made public.
SB 57 is an urgency measure by State Senators Henry Stern and Bob Hertzberg to hold off on the re-opening of the Aliso Canyon Gas Storage Facility until state regulators have completed an investigation to determine the root cause of the leak.
WHAT: Senate Committee Meeting and Vote on SB 57 WHEN: 9:00 AM; Tuesday, March 21, 2017 WHERE: State Capitol, Room 3191 SB 57 has broad bi-partisan support including State Senators Ben Allen (D) and Scott Wilk (R), Assemblyman Dante Acosta (R), the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Mayor Eric Garcetti, and the Los Angeles City Council.
However, amendments that are clearly pushed for by the Gas Company are being inserted into the Bill that would basically render it meaningless. The amendments would remove the need to know the cause for the well failure before the field opens, and would leave it solely to DOGGR and PUC to make the call on the re-opening of the field and the amount of gas they can inject into it.
It is IMPERATIVE that the Bill passes through the committee without these amendments, and we need YOUR HELP to make that happen.
PLEASE CALL THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND URGE THEM TO VOTE “YES ” ON SB 57 WITHOUT THE GAS COMPANY’S AMENDMENTS:
The following are the committee members and the phone numbers to their offices:
Please call as many of the committee members as you can, and impress on them the need to support SB 57 without the absurd amendments. Let them know how it is unconscionable that this facility can re-open before they know what went wrong! Let them know that there are real people and real families that continue to be affected by this leaking facility.
Beginning in the 1940s the federal government conducted rocket and nuclear testing activities at the Santa Susana Field Lab in Ventura County with substantial disregard for the environment. One of its nuclear reactors experienced a partial nuclear meltdown in 1959, and two other reactors experienced accidents with significant fuel damage, causing releases of radioactivity into the air.
In addition to napalm and dioxin incineration in open-air burn pits, dumping of over 500,000 gallons of trichloroethylene and perchlorate, and other contamination from over the 50 years of operations, the site has been left highly polluted with radioactive and chemical contaminants. The parties responsible for cleaning up the Santa Susana Field Lab are: The Department of Energy (DOE), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the Boeing Company.
In 2010, a legally binding cleanup agreement called the Administrative Orders on Consent (AOC), were entered into by NASA and the Department of Energy with the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. The AOC requires all of the detectable radioactive and chemical contamination at their Santa Susana Field Lab operations be cleaned up to background levels similar to those before the site was contaminated. Read more »
On Tuesday, March 7, another important local election will take place. LA area voters will head back to the polls to cast ballots on city and county measures, and Angelenos will vote on citywide offices, on City Council races in odd-numbered districts, and for Los Angeles Unified School District board members and Los Angeles Community College District trustees. The people we elect and the issues at stake will impact the future of our neighborhoods now and in the years to come.
What’s on the Ballot?
At the County level, voters will decide on Measure H, a quarter-cent sales tax increase to fund supportive services for the homeless. In the City of Los Angeles, there are a number of ballot measures on which we must vote, including Proposition M (to enact a regulatory and enforcement framework for commercial cannabis activity), Charter Amendment P (to increase the maximum term for franchises, concessions, permits, licenses and leases that may be entered into by the Harbor Department) and Measure S. Click here for a list of all the March 7 ballot measures.
If you intend to cast your ballot in-person on Election Day, click here to find your polling location www.lavote.net/Locator. The link also takes you to sample ballots in a host of different languages. Remember, polls are open on March 7 from 7 am to 8 pm.
Your Vote Matters
Please go out and vote. It matters. Our democracy relies on the participation of all of its members to thrive and survive. This election presents another vital opportunity for the people to shape the future of our great city.
The contest to host the 2024 Summer Olympics is down to two contenders — Los Angeles and Paris — after Budapest withdrew its bid Wednesday, according to international media reports. Long thought to be the top contenders, Los Angeles and Paris will continue vying for the honor.
Budapest has had waning public support for the bid in recent weeks whereas Los Angeles has gone full court press in the effort to impress the selection committee.
“As LA 2024 enters the international campaign, it’s important for us as a city to remember just what we’re bidding for: the world’s greatest sporting event, significant economic benefits, and a chance to place L.A.’s extraordinary creativity and innovation at the service of the Olympic Movement,” Mayor Eric Garcetti has said. “But perhaps above all else, Los Angeles is bidding to unite the youth of the world in friendship and peace through sport in 2024.” Read more »
For the third straight year, the crime rate is rising in LA, and, despite having more officers, fewer are actually on patrol
Amid a rising crime rate and officer complaints that response times are slower, a City Council committee Tuesday advanced a motion that would direct the Los Angeles Police Department to look at increasing its regular patrols.
The motion forwarded by the Public Safety Committee also calls on the LAPD to consider dismantling some specialized units and hire more civilians to move officers off desk duty to help increase patrols.
The motion submitted in January by Councilmen Mike Bonin and Joe Buscaino and seconded by Councilman Mitchell Englander, all of whom are on the committee, will now be considered by the full council. Read more »
Tuesday, February 21 is the deadline to register to vote in the March 7th Election. March 7th’s Municipal Election has important LAUSD Schoolboard, Los Angeles Community College, County, and City measures on the ballot. In order to participate you must be registered to vote by Tuesday, February 21.
Click here for more information on how to register.
Click here to view your sample ballot and polling location.
Click here for information on how to vote by mail.
This week, Council Member Mitchell Englander submitted a resolution to the Los Angeles City Council asking that the City of Los Angeles support any administrative action by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) to utilize proceeds from the $8.5 million settlement agreement with Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas), including the $5.65 million revenues in emission fees, for the Aliso Canyon Gas Leak to benefit the communities most affected by this calamity.
This settlement agreement completely ignores the needs of the communities directly affected by this disaster. It is imperative that the proceeds of this settlement benefit those most affected by the Aliso Canyon Gas Leak – those whose lives were upended by relocation, illness, school closures, and business hardship.
Click on the Daily News to read the full article. Click here to view the press release and full motion.
The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday voted unanimously to decriminalize street vending — a move long sought by immigrant advocates who argued that sidewalk sellers should not face criminal charges that could place them at risk of being deported.
Fearing a coming crackdown on immigrants, Los Angeles City Council members Joe Buscaino and Curren Price vowed to stop punishing vending as a crime and to begin setting up a regulated system. In January, the council voted to draft an ordinance decriminalizing vending.
Previously, selling food or goods on the sidewalk could lead to misdemeanor charges in Los Angeles.
City staffers say it could take months for Los Angeles to work out all of the details and begin handing out permits to vendors. In the meantime, vendors who ply their trade on city sidewalks still could be cited and fined for violating the municipal code, but they would not face criminal convictions.
Dave Michaelson, a chief assistant city attorney, said Wednesday that a first-offense citation would result in a $250 fee, and a second offense would have a $500 fee. Future violations would result in $1,000 fees.
It is unlikely that more than one citation could be issued within the same day, Michaelson said.
Though lesser citations have been more common, city prosecutors filed misdemeanor charges for sidewalk vending in more than two dozen cases between October 2015 and October 2016, according to the city attorney’s office.
At the February 7th hearing on the San Fernando Mission Blvd/Woodley project, a compromise was reached in principle. Harridge Development has two weeks to submit a new design. Everyone will then have two weeks after that to submit comments, suggestions, and objections to the city planner.
Here is the summary of what Councilmember Englander said about the proposed compromise:
Two main choices: 300 apartments or 330 condos (the differential is probably to provide incentive to build condos, which cost more and don’t provide a steady stream of revenue).
For either option:
Move Woodley driveway south 40 ft, as previously offered, buffered from the school by landscape only, to provide sight lines; right turn only
Put in a median on Woodley (must be approved by LADOT). Prevents more dangerous left turns and prevents northbound residents from entering that way, so number of cars are decreased).
Do a new geological study including drilling new soil test wells closer to Bull Creek, by independent consultant
Do a revised Traffic study by independent consultant
Provide a community room
Height maximum 45′ as in the Specific Plan (and better if lower in front)
Change “very low income” units to “moderate low income”.
No studios (this one was softer, maybe allow 20 depending on design)
Keep the record open for comments for 2 weeks after submitted.
Harridge picked the option for condos, which was one of the main points heard from neighbors because of “pride of ownership” – if you own a property you tend to take better care of it.
At around February 22 we should have the new design to review, though this might slip by a couple of days.
We are working on setting up a meeting after the new documents are available, and we will notify you.
Starting this month, the LA Department of Transportation will begin accepting applications for the Speed Hump Program.
The popular program was halted in 2009 amid the city’s recession. In June 2016, the Budget and Finance Committee restored the program and approved the allocation of $540,000 to begin speed hump construction.
Starting Feb. 28, the department will begin accepting application. Once the 45-day application period is over, construction is expected to begin this summer. For more information about how you can apply for a speed hump in your neighborhood, speed hump guidelines and frequently asked questions, visit ladot.lacity.org.
On Wednesday, the LA City Council voted to require regular updates of the city’s community plans. As a result, the Department of City Planning will build a framework that accelerates updating the city’s 35 community plans to once every six years.
Community plans direct what can and cannot be built in neighborhoods and allow residents to weigh in on what they want their community to look like. Currently, the majority of the city’s community plans have not been updated in more than 15 years.