Southern California Gas Company officials shut down the Aliso Canyon storage facility as a precaution due to the fire threat Friday.
The Southern California Gas Company’s Aliso Canyon storage facility has been evacuated due to the Saddleridge Fire, authorities said Friday.
“All SoCalGas Aliso Canyon storage facility staff are safe, and the facility has been evacuated by fire officials,” utility spokesperson Melissa Bailey said in a statement.
“L.A. (city) Fire and L.A. County Fire have multiple fire engines and personnel fighting the fire in and around the Aliso Canyon facility,” Bailey said. “There is no known damage to our facility at this time.”
“We do not anticipate any damage to our storage wellheads due to the fire,” Bailey said. “Once the facility evacuation is lifted, crews will assess any damage to the facility.”
Bailey cautioned residents whose natural gas service was shut off not to try to turn it back on themselves.
“Only a SoCalGas technician or certified contractors are authorized to operate the natural gas service shut-off valve,” Bailey said. “We urge customers to continue to report suspected gas leaks by calling 1-800-427-2200 or 911 after evacuating the immediate area.”